What is ESSER?
The Elementary and Secondary School Emergency Relief (ESSER) Fund is part of the Coronavirus Aid, Relief, and Economic Security (CARES) Act, established to provide relief to K-12 schools during the COVID-19 pandemic (U.S. Department of Education, 2023).
The funds provide schools and districts with an avenue to address key areas of need in support of their students, staff, families, and stakeholders. ESSER funds can be used for a wider range of purposes to support student academic achievement, including:
- Supporting academic recovery by accelerating learning to address learning loss
- Includes technologies for educational interactions between students and their classroom instructors
- Providing resources to implement afterschool programs and summer learning
- Providing professional development for teachers and staff to enhance their skills and improve instructional practices
- Providing instructional materials and supplies to enhance the learning experience